It’s the most wonderful time of the year, but for homeowners in Fort Collins, CO, it can also be the most stressful. That’s because holiday decorations often require extra electricity – something your average home might not be able to handle. So if you’re planning on decking out your house with Christmas lights and a tree this year, make sure you take some precautions to avoid an electrical emergency in Fort Collins, CO. Here are a few tips to help keep your home safe and festive during the holidays.
1. Check your home’s electrical system before adding any holiday lights or decorations. Make sure your outlets are not overloaded and that your circuit breaker can handle the additional load.
2. Use LED holiday lights whenever possible. These use less electricity than traditional incandescent bulbs, so they put less strain on your home’s electrical system.
3. Check your switches and outlets in Fort Collins, CO home and make sure they’re working properly. If you see any signs of damage, replace them before adding holiday lights or decorations.
4. Schedule electrical inspections before and after the holidays. This will help ensure that your home’s electrical system is up to the task of handling the additional load from holiday lights and decorations. The electrical inspection cost in Fort Collins, CO is very affordable and it could save you a lot of money in the long run.
5. Be mindful of where you place your holiday lights and decorations. Avoid putting them near water sources, like pools, fountains, or sprinklers. Also, keep them away from any flammable materials, such as trees and drapes.
6. Use extension cords sparingly and never overload them. If you must use extension cords, make sure they are rated for the wattage of the holiday lights or decorations you’re plugging into them.
7. Turn off all holiday lights and decorations before you go to bed or leave your home. This will help prevent any accidents if there is a power surge or outage while you’re away.
8. Have an emergency plan in place in case of a power outage or other electrical emergency.
At Eggers Electric, we understand the importance of having a safe and festive holiday season. That’s why we offer electrical inspections and other services to help keep your home’s electrical system in top condition.
Contact us today at 970-669-1883 to schedule an inspection or to learn more about our electrical services in Fort Collins, CO.