When it comes to preventing electrical fires in your home, everyone should have a plan. Electrical fires can be devastating and dangerous, accounting for billions of dollars in losses each year. But with some basic knowledge and preparation, you can help keep your family safe from these types of fires. Here are some tips from Fort Collins, CO emergency electricians on how to prevent electrical fires in your home.
- Check your outlets: Outlets that are loose, damaged, or overloaded can be a fire hazard. Make sure to check all the outlets in your home regularly and tighten or replace any that are loose. If you have any damaged outlets, have them repaired or replaced by a qualified electrician.
- Don’t overload circuits: Overloading circuits is one of the leading causes of electrical fires. Be sure to spread out your appliances and electronics so that you’re not putting too much strain on any one circuit. If you frequently blow fuses or trip circuit breakers, have an electrician check your wiring to see if it needs to be upgraded.
- Use extension cords wisely: Extension cords are a convenient way to get power where you need it, but they can also be a fire hazard if used improperly. Never use an extension cord that is worn or frayed, and only use them temporarily. Be sure to unplug them when you’re done using them so they don’t overheat. If you are using light switches and dimmers in your Fort Collins, CO home, only use the ones that are specifically designed for that type of bulb.
- Inspect your wiring: Homes that are more than 40 years old are more likely to have outdated or damaged wiring. If you live in an older home, it’s a good idea to have an electrician inspect your wiring and update it if necessary.
- Don’t ignore warning signs: If you notice any sparks, strange smells, or noticing signs of GFCI outlet repair in Fort Collins, CO, don’t ignore them! These could be warning signs of an electrical fire, so it’s important to call a qualified electrician right away to have the problem checked out.
By following these tips, you can help prevent electrical fires in your home. If you have any concerns about the safety of your home’s wiring, be sure to contact Eggers Electric at (970) 669-1883. We provide comprehensive electrical services in Fort Collins, CO, and the surrounding areas.