Electricity is essential to modern life. It powers our homes, offices, and factories. But sometimes it can malfunction or misbehave, leading to electric problems that can cause damage or be dangerous. Knowing when to call a professional is essential for your and your family’s safety. This article will discuss common electrical problems at home and when to call an electrician in Fort Collins, CO.
- Short Circuit: A short circuit occurs when a hot wire touches a neutral or ground wire, creating an overload and potentially a fire hazard. Signs of a short circuit include flickering lights, dimmer switches that don’t work properly, and excessive heat from outlets.
- Overloaded Circuits: Overloaded circuits are caused when too much power is drawn from one circuit, resulting in blown fuses or tripped breakers. Signs of an overloaded circuit include lights that dim or flicker, appliances that don’t run properly or won’t start at all, and a burning smell coming from outlets.
- Faulty Wiring: Faulty wiring can cause not only shock hazards but also potential fire hazards. Signs of faulty wiring include excessive heat or smoke from outlets, flickering lights, and buzzing or humming sounds from appliances or switches.
- Loose Connections: Loose wire connections can cause sparks or fires to start and shocks when touched. Signs of loose connections include discolored outlets or switches, flickering lights, or buzzing sounds coming from appliances.
- Outdated Panels: Outdated panels may not be able to handle the current electricity load, resulting in a potential hazard. Signs of outdated panels include flickering lights or breakers that trip frequently.
It’s essential to be aware of these common electrical problems at home so that you can identify them quickly and take the necessary steps to protect your family. If you suspect any of these issues, such as electrical thermostats in Longmont, CO, turn off the power and call an electrician immediately.
Are you looking for electrical panel upgrades in Greeley, CO? Don’t wait! Contact our team of electricians at Eggers Electric. Our team has the expertise to ensure the safety of your family. Call us at (970) 669-1883 today!